Nis Fortress - the best preserved medieval fortress in Balkans
Nis Fortress is located in the core of the city, on the bank of the Nisava river.
Nis fortress is one of the best preserved and most beautiful medieval fortresses in central Balkans.
It was pulled down and restored a number of times, by the Romans, over the Byzantines, Slavs, Bulgarians, and Serbs. It is assumed that it got its final shape in 1723, when the Turks built it, facing the end of their reign in this area.
Its construction required over 40 stonecutters from Constantinople and around 400 bricklayers from Nis and around be hired.
The stone was brought over from the nearby villages, and, toward the end of the construction there was a lot of hurry to secure this strategically important spot, so that anything suitable from within the Fortress was used as construction material: tombstones, columns and numerous architectural elements of the earlier Roman and Byzantine fortifications.
The Fortress covers 22 hectares, its walls are 2,100 meters long, 8 meters high, and, on average, 3 meters wide. From the outside, the Fortress was surrounded by a water-filled ditch, whose northern part remains visible today.